Officer Brian Shaw was shot and killed Friday night in New Kensington.
Here is what we know about Fallen Officer Brian Shaw:
- Shaw has been with the New Kensington Police Department for less than a year. He was a 2014 graduate of the Allegheny County Police Training Academy. He worked part-time at several departments until he got his first full-time job.
- According to his Facebook page, Shaw was from Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania and attended Burrell High School.
- He studied criminal justice at Slippery Rock University, and graduated in 2013. He was a kicker for the football team.
- Shaw was shot twice in the chest during a traffic stop on Leishman Avenue on Nov. 17.
- He was transported to Allegheny Valley Hospital, where he later died.
"I think he was feeling his way through it, he found a spot, he loved it and he did it well," David Magill said. He's known Shaw for years as a regular at his restaurant, Mogie's Irish Pub in Lower Burrell.
"He was new to it, that's the sad part, he was just finding his way through the job," he said.
Donations for the New Kensington Police Department are being accepted at the New Kensington Fire Station on Fourth Avenue.
Black drapes hung over the doors of New Kensington's safety building Saturday.
A wreath marks his name and badge number.
"He never had a bad word to say about anybody, never any conflict, always had a smile on his face, generally one of the nicest kids I've ever met from Burrell," Magill said.
A memorial fund has been set up for Officer Brian Shaw. You can donate by going to any First National Bank or sending a check to:
- First National Bank
- c/o Officer Brian Shaw Memorial Fun
- 110 Burrell Plaza
- Lower Burrell, PA 15068
Volunteers were at the New Kensington fire station making blue and black ribbons to wear in honor of Shaw.
"We had a community function in July and he was there walking around, meeting the kids," LeighAnne Saliba said. "He was just a great kid, loved to be here, loved to be a part of our town. He'll be missed."
Pennsylvania State Police and local police are responding to calls and covering shifts for New Kensington police as officers continue to mourn the loss of Officer Shaw.
- Police officer who was shot and killed identified as Brian Shaw
- What we know about fallen Officer Brian Shaw
- People, police departments leaving condolences for Officer Brian Shaw
- Severe Weather Team 11 tracking a complex system over weekend
Cox Media Group