ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. - The Sheriff's Office in St. Johns County, Florida arrested Andrew Thomson Burnett, 42, of Sanford, who is suspected of carjacking a golf cart, St. Johns County Sheriff's Office says.
Police say Burnett battered the driver of the golf cart, and took the cart from him.
A deputy spotted Burnett driving a red, gas-powered golf cart at the intersection of U.S.-1 North and Palencia Village Drive. The deputy activated the patrol car's emergency lights and siren, but Burnett did not stop.
Next, Burnett could be seen weaving back and forth on U.S.-1 N., before making an abrupt U-turn in front of oncoming traffic and driving into a ditch, police say. While being chased by police, Burnett tried to "create an escape by using his head to bust through a vinyl fence," according to SJSO.
Burnett ran from the golf cart, but deputies caught and arrested him.
- 'The Office' themed pop-up bar heading to Pittsburgh
- First accumulating snow of season possible this week
- 2 former inmates hired by Lt. Gov. Fetterman after life-sentences commuted
- RAW: Police investigating replica dollar bills circulating in the Pittsburgh area
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.