Prince William says royal family not racist amid fallout from Meghan Markle, Prince Harry interview

LONDON — Britain’s Prince William is weighing in after Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, and his younger brother, Prince Harry, spoke out about the difficulties of royal life in an interview with Oprah Winfrey.

>> Read more trending news

According to The Associated Press, William, 38, was visiting an east London school Thursday when a reporter asked whether he had spoken with his brother since the interview, which aired Sunday in the United States and Monday in the United Kingdom.

>> Beyoncé shares message of support for Meghan Markle after Oprah Winfrey interview

“No, I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I will do,” William, also known as the Duke of Cambridge, replied.

“Can you just let me know, is the royal family a racist family, sir?” the reporter asked.

“We’re very much not a racist family,” William said.

In their two-hour interview, Meghan, 39, and Harry, 36, opened up about their decision to step back as senior members of the royal family and move to California with their son, Archie, last year. The pair spoke about racism, feeling “trapped,” the British tabloids and the mental health challenges – including suicidal thoughts – that Meghan faced as a result.

“I was really ashamed to say it at the time and ashamed to have to admit it to Harry, especially, because I know how much loss he’s suffered,” Meghan, who is expecting her second child this summer, said in the interview. “But I knew that if I didn’t say it, then I would do it. And I just didn’t want to be alive anymore.”

Meghan also said that when she was pregnant with Archie, there were “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.”

Winfrey, visibly shocked, first replied, “What?” before asking for clarification on who was having those conversations.

Meghan said the issue was brought up with Harry, not her, but declined to say who was involved.

“I think that would be very damaging to them,” Meghan said.

Later, Harry corroborated Meghan’s claim but said he’s “never going to share” the conversation.

“But at the time, it was awkward,” he said. “I was a bit shocked.”

On Tuesday, Buckingham Palace officials released a statement on Queen Elizabeth II’s behalf, saying the royal family was “saddened” by the revelations.

“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning,” the statement read. “While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.”

The statement added: “Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”

Read more here.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.