WASHTENAW COUNTY, Mich. - The University of Wisconsin is in mourning after a weekend crash killed two family members of the school's assistant basketball coach. Authorities said a driver going the wrong way slammed into them.
When first responders got to the wreck all they could see was a fireball. Coach Howard Moore was in a black Mercedes SUV with his family. His wife Jennifer was behind the wheel.
"At this point we believe Mrs. Moore was assisted out of the vehicle by a good Samaritan who came across the scene. We are still in the process of trying to identify that good Samaritan who pulled her out," officials told WDIV.
Jennifer Moore was life-flighted to the University of Michigan Hospital, but was taken off life support yesterday.
Their daughter, Jaidyn, 9, was dead at the scene. Their dog died in the crash as well.
- Deadly parasites, bacteria lurking in pool water, CDC says, urges diligence
- Baby cut from slain mother's womb opens eyes for first time since hospitalization
- 6-month-old baby found alive in motel near two bodies expected to make full recovery, report says
- VIDEO: Texas Men Died Attempting to Jump Car Across Drawbridge, Police Said
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Howard Moore and the couple's son Jerell, 13, are still in the hospital with significant injuries, which officials said are not life-threatening.
The driver of the SUV who hit them has been identified as Samantha Winchester, 23. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Condolences for the Moore family are coming from universities across the country.