PITTSBURGH — Kris Letang scored his second goal 1:20 into overtime to give the Pittsburgh Penguins a 7-6 victory over the Washington Capitals on Thursday night.
Letang beat goalie Braden Holtby with a slap shot from the point on a power play. Letang finished with three points, tying Hall of Famer Paul Coffey for the most by a defenseman in team history with 440.
Jake Guentzel also scored twice, Evgeni Malkin had a goal and two assists, and Derick Brassard and Jamie Oleksiak added goals in Pittsburgh's opener. Matt Murray made 30 saves.
T.J. Oshie scored twice for Stanley Cup champion Washington, coming off a 7-0 home victory over Boston on Wednesday night in the Capitals' opener.
Alex Ovechkin had his second of the season and 609th overall, passing Dino Ciccarelli for 18th on the NHL list. Brooks Orpik, Jakub Vrana and John Carlson also scored.
Malkin scored 2:45 into the third period, putting Pittsburgh ahead by two, but Oshie tied it at 6 with goals 21 seconds apart.
- Flash flooding traps drivers, sends water rushing into restaurant
- Fire department facing cuts that would keep them from some non-emergency calls
- Mother, teen charged in tattoo incident involving 10-year-old child
- VIDEO: Man charged in connection with girlfriend's death after she fell off his truck
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts