• Fire at Uniontown high rise sends 3 residents, 1 firefighter to hospital


    UNIONTOWN, Pa. - A high-rise apartment complex fire in Uniontown forced dozens of residents out in the cold Thursday night and sent four people to an area hospital.

    Officials said the fire started just before 8 p.m. at the Marshal Manor High Rise in Fayette County.

    A woman who lives on the seventh floor said the flames started inside of her apartment.

    "I was sleeping and I woke up and my bathroom was on fire," said Vicki Hebner.

    Hebner said she attempted to put the fire out on her own.

    "I turned the shower on. I threw the curtain down. It wouldn't go out. Then I tried throwing it across the bed, which caught everything else on fire. Then I started screaming, 'Fire, fire fire!' Hebner said.

    Crews said smoke quickly spread to other floors of the seven-story building.

    "I smelled the smoke and I looked out of my room. You couldn't see down the hall. You couldn't see in front of you. It was that bad," said resident Joe Musgrove.

    The Uniontown fire chief said four people, including one firefighter, were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

    "The heat did bust the windows. We made quick knockdown on the fire so we were fortunate. We made rescues off of the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th floors," said Chief Charles Coldren.

    Those who lived on the seventh floor are working with the American Red Cross on finding a place to live. All other residents were permitted back into their homes.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Fire at Uniontown high rise sends 3 residents, 1 firefighter to hospital

  • Headline Goes Here

    Looking back at The Blizzard of '93

  • Headline Goes Here

    Teen "set-up" by man he met on Grindr, beaten in ruthless attack

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police need help identifying woman found dead inside mall

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: Child, 12, sent threat that closed Pennsylvania school district