The great-grandfather of the Porsche 911 is going up for auction this summer and it may end up being the most valuable Porsche ever sold.
The Porsche Type 64 was Ferdinand Porsche's early attempt at a rear-engined sports car.
It will be auctioned through RM Sotheby in mid-August in Monterey, California.
- Woman shows up at hospital after being shot, nearby community center shot up
- Recall alert: Aldi's Bakers Corner all-purpose flour recalled due to potential E. coli
- Channel 11 uncovers new details about alleged corruption in Aliquippa Police Department
- VIDEO: 11 things to do in Pittsburgh this weekend (5/24-5/26)
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Experts at Hagerty, a company that insures collectible cars, said as the earliest Porsche sports car, and with a direct lineage to today's 911s, it could be worth between $20 million and $25 million.
Until now, the highest price ever paid for a Porsche at auction was $14 million in 2017. That car was a 1970 Porsche 917 race car that was used in the Steve McQueen movie "Le Mans."
COPYRIGHT 2019 WWW.CNN.COM. TURNER BROADCASTING SYSTEM, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.