PITTSBURGH - The baby boom at the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium continued Monday with the announcement of a new Gentoo Penguin chick.
The chick is one-month old and has been named Iggy.
According to the Zoo, penguin parents Prince and Mambo share the chick-rearing responsibilities which include feeding, snuggling and keeping the chick safe and warm.
Right now, the chick is covered in gray, white and black down feathers that are no waterproof. In about a month, the chick will shed its baby feathers and grow adult ones. The adult feathers also mean it’ll be time for the new chick to learn to swim.
- Juvenile stabbed to death, search underway for suspect on parole
- Largest fentanyl bust in state history made along Pa. turnpike, police say
- Police investigating attempted child abduction report at Hersheypark
- VIDEO: Dog set on fire and killed
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.