Charges refiled against dozens of people involved in Pittsburgh protests

Charges refiled against dozens of people involved in Pittsburgh protests
8 federally charged in violent downtown Pittsburgh protests

PITTSBURGH — The Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office is refiling charges against dozens of people who were involved in protests over the summer.

Officials said 24 people are facing failure to disperse charges from protests Downtown Pittsburgh and in East Liberty on May 30 and June 1 last year. During those two days, peaceful protests descended into violence as police officers were attacked, journalists were targeted, law enforcement vehicles were set on fire and businesses were looted.

The DA said the Mayor’s office presented evidence in order to refile the charges, but Mayor Peduto said that’s not the case. He called the refiling of charges a “baseless, unethical, childish political game.”

Local boy encounters rare complication of COVID-19