Top Stories

TIMELINE: 9 officers injured, 20 people arrested when violence erupted after peaceful protest Monday

PITTSBURGH — Thousands of protesters gathered in Pittsburgh’s East Liberty neighborhood Monday afternoon.

It wasn’t until a few hours later when police said a small group of people split off from the peaceful protest and began to damage businesses in the area. Police said they started to throw rocks and other items at law enforcement, and smoke was thrown after officers gave numerous orders for them to disperse.

Crowds have gathered across the Pittsburgh area the past three days to rally in response to the death of George Floyd in Minnesota. Floyd died while in police custody last week.

Former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin was arrested Friday and charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter in Floyd’s death. Chauvin is accused of keeping his knee on Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes.

UPDATE 11:15 p.m.: Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich said nine officers were injured. All officers were evaluated and released from the hospital.

Hissrich said at least four windows were broken, but it doesn’t appear any businesses were looted.

If you want to receive BREAKING ALERTS, please download our WPXI News App. You can also follow WPXI on Facebook and Twitter.

Two protesters were transported to the hospital with injuries that they said they got from bean bags.

Hissrich said 20 people were arrested tonight, which included four people who are not from Pennsylvania.

Police did clarify that officers deployed smoke and not tear gas.

UPDATE 10:10 p.m.: Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto, Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich and Pittsburgh police officials will be holding a press conference at 11 p.m. to discuss the violence after the peaceful protest in East Liberty.

UPDATE 9:57 p.m.: Police said this was a peaceful protest, but once it ended at Target, a small group broke off.

Police said that group vandalized and broke glass store fronts, and threw rocks and bottles at officers.

When police gave orders for them to disperse, they did not listen, Public Safety officials said.

UPDATE 9:26 p.m.: Pittsburgh Public Safety officials said the scene is now secure.

They said a number of businesses were vandalized and police made numerous arrests.

UPDATE 8:43 p.m.: SWAT officers are surrounding the Target store on Penn Avenue.

UPDATE 8:30 p.m.: The citywide curfew for Pittsburgh is now in effect through 6 a.m. Tuesday.


More tear gas has been deployed as a crowd continued to gather near the Target store on Penn Avenue. A state police helicopter was brought in and has been flying above the scene throughout the evening.

UPDATE 8:10 p.m.: Several dozen people are still gathering as a crowd and are refusing to disperse. They are now sitting in the middle of the intersection.

Several people are directly confronting the police line now.

A hose was set up on top of a building above the police line spraying water down on them as the police advance up the street. Again, a curfew is scheduled to go into effect at 8:30 p.m.

More tear gas was being deployed. Another person was being taken into police custody. This is taking place near Highland Avenue and Center Avenue.

UPDATE 7:54 p.m.: From Chopper 11, it appears several people have been taken into custody following heavily armed police deploying smoke.

Police in riot gear are working to move down the street and clear out the remaining small group of protesters.

Several Port Authority buses appear to be stopped in the area as protesters are blocking streets and intersections.

There is a city-wide curfew scheduled to go into effect at 8:30 p.m.

UPDATE 7:39 p.m.: Police are telling people to avoid East Liberty and have declared the area not safe.

Police said a small group broke off from the peaceful protest and began smashing windows.

UPDATE 7:28 p.m.: Officers have fired tear gas at protesters, our crews could see from Chopper 11.

UPDATE 7:14 p.m.: A couple hundred protesters remain in East Liberty after hours

UPDATE 6:40 p.m.: The crowd is now at Penn and Centre, in front of Target where they started.

UPDATE 6:30 p.m.: Protesters are now stopped at the intersection of Broad Street and Larimer Avenue.

Multiple roads are closed in the area.

Pittsburgh Public Safety officials said protesters have been and remain peaceful.

UPDATE 6:08 p.m.: The crowd is now moving down East Liberty to Broad Street.

UPDATE 5:50 p.m.: Protesters are now stopped on Penn Avenue near Negley Street.

Several roads in the area are closed.

UPDATE 5:26 p.m.: Protesters are now standing along Penn Avenue in front of the Target where they started.

UPDATE 5:00 p.m.: The crowd is now stopped at Station Street and N Highland Avenue.

UPDATE 4:45 p.m.: Police continue blocking intersections as the crowd makes its way down Station Street.

UPDATE 4:29 p.m.: Pittsburgh Public Safety said the crowd is now moving around the Penn Circle area.

Officials are asking everyone to be patient if you get caught in traffic or closures.

UPDATE 4:36 p.m.: Protesters are now marching down N Euclid Avenue.

UPDATE 4:30 p.m.: Pittsburgh Public Safety officials said the group of several hundred protesters marching peacefully in East Liberty are currently at the intersection of Penn and N Euclid avenues.

They said to expect traffic delays in the area.

UPDATE 4:14 p.m.: Protesters are marching down Penn Avenue right now.

Police have several intersections blocked off.

Comments on this article