PITTSBURGH — A Homewood man was arrested this week after allegedly firing a BB gun in a crowded area downtown.
Police said Andre Freeman, 29, was outside the Benedum Center Wednesday night around 7:15 when he fired multiple times.
If you want to receive BREAKING ALERTS, please download our WPXI News App. You can also follow WPXI on Facebook and Twitter.
A security guard for the theater was able to tackle Freeman and hold him until police could arrive.
This all happened outside a planned showing of 'Fiddler on the Roof.' A performance of the same show with the same cast earlier this month was halted in Baltimore after a man inside the theater began shouting Nazi slogans.
Freeman is charged with causing or risking a catastrophe, disorderly conduct, discharging a firearm or airgun, carrying a facsimile of a firearm and simple assault.
The Benedum Center and all properties owned by the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust have increased security, including adding metal detectors and restricting items that can be brought inside to shows.
“The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust is committed to providing a space for a wide range of opinions and ideas. We will not, however, tolerate violence of any kind – be it physical, threats, or hate speech," a statement from the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust said.
- Police: Man killed his baby hours after it was born to 15-year-old girl, encased body in cement
- Three major retailers announce new gift card restrictions to prevent scams
- 2 people trapped in burning home died at hospital, 1 still critical
- VIDEO: Husband Of Washington Woman Who Died During Childbirth Is Suing Hospital
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Cox Media Group