NORTH STRABANE TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A body was recovered after a trench collapsed in Washington County, and officials identified the victim.
Chopper 11 flew over Brehm Road in North Strabane Township around 1:30 p.m. Friday.
Emergency crews were attempting to rescue a man from a 10-foot-deep trench that collapsed as he was working on a sewer line at a significant other’s home.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Washington County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
Investigators said it did not appear that the wall was properly shored, so it could have easily crashed in on the man.
Firefighters spent hours at the scene working to rescue the victim, but a coroner was called around 5 p.m.
The Washington County coroner’s office identified the victim as Richard St. John, 49, of Ohio.
The cause and manner of death were both listed as pending in the coroner’s report.
- Person flown to hospital with fractured skull after robbery at off-campus Slippery Rock apartment
- Roaches, more than a dozen other health violations found at popular Pittsburgh restaurant
- Part of busy North Hills road closed after water main break
- RAW VIDEO: Snow covering roads in Cranberry Township
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.