Top Stories

Police identify man who killed parents in Mt Lebanon, mother’s name released

MOUNT LEBANON, Pa. — A man killed his parents before getting into a shootout with police in Mount Lebanon, then led officers on a chase before being found dead after a crash, authorities said.

The 25-year-old man, George Tratras, called police shortly after 12 a.m. Thursday to a home on Gilkeson Road. He said he had shot and killed his mother, Ana Tratras, 59, and his father, 65, who’s name hasn’t been released. He told police he was ready to surrender.

During the 911 call, the George Tratras alluded to an argument with his parents that resulted in their deaths. Police said he was calm at first, but he then began shooting at officers.

“He was very cooperative initially, no indication he was going to turn this into a gunfight at that point,” said Mt. Lebanon Deputy Chief of Police Jason Haberman.

That’s when the man opened fire.

“Suddenly, there were just a ton, a ton of bullets going off, and I’m running around the house. I’m not sure what’s happening,” Robert, a neighbor, said.

Officer Rob Barnes, an 8-year veteran of the Dormont Police Department, was shot in the torso, and his bullet-proof vest likely saved his life, police said. He was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and was later released. He is expected to make a full recovery.

A Mount Lebanon officer was also hurt, but was not hit by gunfire. That officer was treated at a hospital and released.

George Tratras then got away from the perimeter officers had set up and took off in a car, leading police on a chase that ended in a crash in the area of Route 19 and McLaughlin Run Road in Upper Saint Clair. Officers then found him dead in his car, which had flipped, police said.

Police recovered at least five guns in the his vehicle, including a rifle they pulled from the trunk.

Officers determined George Tratras had a single gunshot wound to the head and believe it to be self-inflicted. His parents were found deceased inside the home on Gilkeson Road.

Authorities are working to determine the exact cause of the George Tratras death.

“Injuries were minimized and lives were saved by an excellent piece of teamwork and law enforcement response by all involved,” Haberman said.

Police said they are familiar with the man and had been called to the home before, usually for mental health issues.

Channel 11 learned that the parents had attended the Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Church just up the road from their home.

“We’re all in really a great deal of shock,” said Father John Chakos, a retired priest with the parish. “All we can say is, pray for those who have perished in this unfathomable and horrifying manner.”

The couple and son reportedly lived alone at the home, with no other children.

“The mother was an immigrant from Brazil, but she was of Greek origin. She spoke Portuguese, English and Greek very fluently. The father was from a small island in the Aegean, and came over as a young man,” Father Chakos said.

Years ago, Father Chakos had helped the mother find a job when she first moved to the United States. The family later attended another church. Father Chakos did not have a close relationship with the son and was not aware of any issues.

“The family was a very close family as far as I could see,” he told us. “They were very polite, seemed to be a together family.”

The church will have a memorial prayer for the family on Sunday.