PITTSBURGH - State legislators are working on a bill to change the use of deadly force statute by police following the trial of Michael Rosfeld.
Today, Channel 11 obtained a copy of the bill co-sponsored by Rep. Ed Gainey (D-East Liberty) and Rep. Summer Lee (D-Braddock) that’s being distributed to other House members for co-sponsorship.
Download the WPXI News App for the latest on this bill as debate continues
Referencing the shooting death of Antwon Rose, the bill would eliminate making an arrest as a justification for police using deadly force.
It calls for de-escalation and non-lethal options before an officer would be allowed to resort to deadly force.
Activists say they plan on fighting for the bill locally and in Harrisburg in the coming weeks.
- Man arrested in deadly shooting over parking
- Doorbell camera catches DoorDash driver sipping milkshake before delivering it
- Woman gives birth to twins 26 days after birth of first child
- VIDEO: Pittsburgh diabetics traveling to Canada to buy insulin
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.