PITTSBURGH - A 15-year-old Moon Area High School student was flown by medical helicopter to UPMC Children's Hospital after an accident while practicing gymnastics.
The accident happened Tuesday at the Moon Area Middle School gym during recreational use by the Moon Area Gymnastics Association, and not during a school event.
The move that police say badly injured a 15-year-old boy has not been made public, but Channel 11 has confirmed the seriously injured gymnast was taken to the baseball field, from which he was flown by medical helicopter.
The male gymnast was reportedly conscious, but could not feel his legs.
- Girl shaken as baby dies nearly 14 years later, father charged with homicide
- Sol Pais, woman infatuated with Columbine, is dead
- Police: Kentucky substitute teacher took 4 vodka shots while teaching
- VIDEO: Motorcyclist allegedly tries to hit trooper
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The Moon Area Gymnastics Association reached out to parents and gymnasts through their Facebook page posting:
“This is to inform you there was an accident in the gym involving one of our gymnasts. We are closely following the situation, however we do not have any information to share at this time."
The association's board would not release details to Channel 11 as to how the boy was injured, but did share this statement: “Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and the gymnast.”
Police are not naming the victim.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.