MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A 16-year-old continues the battle of his life after a gymnastics accident Channel 11 first told you about back in mid-April.
The accident happened at the Moon Area Middle School gym during recreational use by the Moon Area Gymnastics Association, and not during a school event.
Chris Speanburg had been practicing on the vault.
"The last one, unfortunately, he landed on his neck and he broke his spine at the c4 which put a lot of pressure on the spinal cord and has left him paralyzed," Chris' dad, Kit Speanburg, said.
Kit Speanburg said the outpouring of support has been amazing and heartwarming.
"You don’t feel alone anymore. Nobody knows what to say but everybody is saying the right thing." he said.
The hardest part for Chris, his father said, has been not being able to participate in any of the clubs and other organizations he's part of. But that hasn't stopped his joy.
"He hasn’t lost his spirit at all. Just a couple days ago he was finally joking around with the nurses," Kit Speanburg said.
Donations can be made to:
Chris Speanburg Irrevocable Trustfund
136 Elmhurst Drive
Coraopolis, Pa 15108
- Man wanted for assault believed to be carrying gun while on the run
- GM recalls 368,000 trucks for faulty engine block heater wiring
- Police: Man shot after getting into argument with other driver at stoplight
- VIDEO: Study: Cocaine, other drugs found in freshwater shrimp
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.