HARRISBURG - One state lawmaker is calling for Mayor Bill Peduto's impeachment over the gun control legislation he signed into law on Tuesday.
Rep. Daryll Metcalfe tweeted Tuesday, "I just asked our attorney to have a resolution drafted to IMPEACH the Mayor of Pittsburgh for his illegal gun control ordinances!"
I just asked our attorney to have a resolution drafted to IMPEACH the Mayor of Pittsburgh for his illegal gun control ordinances!— Rep. Daryl Metcalfe (@RepMetcalfe) April 9, 2019
Peduto responded, pointing out bills Metcalfe supported in the past that failed.
Lost/Stolen Handgun Preemtion - Unconstitutional— bill peduto (@billpeduto) April 9, 2019
Same Sex Marriage Ban - Unconstitutional
Voter Suppression Act - Unconstitutional
Fracking Zoning Preemption - Unconstitutional
Representative, do you really want to go 0-5?
PS: I met Parkland survivors. They’re not actors! https://t.co/UlWf1UscQ4
- Baby born in Texas with rare condition, no skin below the neck
- 80-year-old man charged with murder, rape in 1973 Virginia cold case involving 2 local teens
- Police searching for man accused of kidnapping woman, bringing her to Pittsburgh
- VIDEO: Police searching for 2 men after deadly shooting in Larimer
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The gun control legislation has been highly controversial, with opponents already filing lawsuits. The legislation makes it illegal to load, brandish, display, discharge, point or otherwise use an assault weapon within the city.
“This is a serious and legitimate exercise in using the tools at our disposal to deal with a rogue mayor who thinks he's going to get away with breaking our law," Metcalfe said.
Council members voted 6-3 last week to pass the legislation.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.