ALLEGHENY TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Police in a Westmoreland County community issued a warning after a very convincing scam tricked a woman out of $20,000.
Allegheny Township police said someone called the woman, claiming there's evidence she looked at child pornography online.
WPXI's Damany Lewis is talking with investigators on what you can do to protect yourself from becoming a victim for Channel 11 News beginning at 5 p.m.
The caller said they would resolve the issue if the woman paid him $20,000 in Google Play gift cards, police said. The woman bought those gift cards and gave the caller the PINS over the phone.
Police said a legitimate business would never ask you to do something like this, no matter how convincing they are.
- Rapper Nipsey Hussle shot, killed in Los Angeles; two others wounded, reports say
- Chief: Ride-share mistake led to death of SC college student
- Woman gives birth to three sets of twins in nine minutes
- VIDEO: Man dies following crash involving motorcycle
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.