ROSS, Pa. - A large fire destroyed a Ross Township home Friday night.
Download the WPXI News App for breaking news and alerts
At one point, 15 fire departments were at the scene on Pittview Road.
Fire investigators think the fireplace inside the home might have caused the fire.
When firefighters first arrived on the scene, smoke was pouring out of the window. Getting the water supply took a little time and the cold weather did not help. There were some icy spots.
The person who owns the home actually tried to put the fire out when it started.
"He did try to extinguish the fire with some water and it got ahead of him and the smoke condition drove him out of the house," Ross Township Fire Marshal John Reuvi said.
The homeowner is OK but was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation.
- Intense fire destroys garage, 2 cars at large home in Fox Chapel
- Parents warn others after daughter's ear infection turns out to be fatal meningitis
- Abandoned dog found with foot rotted away; humane officials seeking answers
- VIDEO: Cub Scout kneels during Pledge of Allegiance at city council meeting
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.