American Heart Association experts recommend men shouldn't eat more than 36 grams of added sugar a day and women should limit their sugar consumption to 25 grams.
For example, a single Krispy Kreme doughnut, which has 10 grams of sugar, takes up a good bulk of your recommended daily intake.
- LIVE UPDATES: Active shooter reported at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base military hospital
- Passengers shaken when brakes fail on Kennywood's pirate ship ride
- Heinz Field announces Taylor Swift concert policies
- VIDEO: Pope changes death penalty teaching, now 'inadmissible'
But healthy-sounding snack replacements like yogurt and raisins actually rack up more sugar than you might think. Some options even have more than double the sugar of a Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut.
Here are some foods and drinks with more sugar than a Krispy Kreme doughnut:
- Bottle of Naked juice green machine smoothie: 53 grams or about five Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnuts
- One-fourth cup of Sun Maid raisins: 29 grams or three Krispy Kreme doughnuts
- Chobani blueberry greek yogurt: 15 grams or 1 ½ Krispy Kreme doughnuts
- Nature Valley oats and honey crunchy granola bar: 11 grams or about one Krispy Kreme doughnut
- Vitaminwater: up to 32 grams of sugar or about three Krispy Kreme doughnuts
- One cup of Motts apple sauce: 22 grams or about 2 Krispy Kreme doughnuts
- Odwalla mango protein flavored soy protein shake: 47 grams or about 5 Krispy Kreme doughnuts
- Quaker instant oatmeal in apple cinnamon: 12 grams, a little more sugar than one Krispy Kreme doughnut
- Nesquik low fat chocolate milk: 22 grams, or about two Krispy Kreme doughnuts
To learn more about added sugars and your recommended intake, visit heart.org.
This story has been updated.
Cox Media Group