MANASQUAN, N.J. - A massive great white shark surprised fisherman off the coast of New Jersey when it suddenly rose out of the water to snatch a chum bag off the side of their boat.
The incident happened Tuesday about 30 miles from the Manasquan Inlet in Manasquan, New Jersey, according to news reports.
They spotted the shark approaching the boat and were already recording it, when suddenly the animal rears out of the water to grab the chum bag, generally a bag filled with fish parts, and opened his huge mouth filled with razor-sharp teeth.
FISH STORY: Fishermen off the Jersey Shore were thrilled by their caught-on-camera close encounter with a massive great white shark, with the predator, estimated to be up to 16 feet long, seen snacking on a chum bag. https://t.co/JEdGaJDMuK pic.twitter.com/x52sdvMYib— World News Tonight (@ABCWorldNews) June 18, 2019
The captain of the fishing boat, Jeff Crilly, took the video and posted photos of the encounter on social media.
Crilly, who said four other fisherman were on board at the time, estimated the shark was about 16 feet long.
A great white shark similar to the one that surprised fishermen off the coast of New Jersey on Tuesday, June 18, 2019.
- 9th American tourist dead in Dominican Republic while vacationing with friends
- Taco Bell giving away free Doritos Locos Tacos Tuesday
- Charges expected today after inmate tips off therapist to woman's death
- VIDEO: Man Accused of Kidnapping, Killing 3-Year-Old Son, Boy’s Mother After Ordered to Pay Child Support
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.