DC medical examiner confirms causes of death of 4 who died in Jan. 6 Capitol riot

WASHINGTON — The chief medical examiner in Washington, D.C., confirmed on Wednesday the causes and manners of death of four people who died during the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Two of the four deaths were ruled natural, one an accident and the fourth a homicide, WTOP reported.

>> Read more trending news

Thousands of former President Donald Trump’s supporters descended on the Capitol on Jan. 6, smashing windows and brawling with police officers while Congress was in session to ratify President Joe Biden’s 2020 election win. Five deaths have been linked by authorities to the mayhem.

The cause and manner of death for Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick remain pending. Two men have been charged with spraying Sicknick with a chemical spray, but no charges have been brought for causing his death.

Per Dr. Francisco Diaz’s official determinations:

Ashli Babbitt, 35, died from a gunshot wound to her left shoulder

Roseanne Boyland, 34, died of acute amphetamine intoxication

Kevin Greeson, 55, died of hypertensive atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease

Benjamin Phillips, 50, died of hypertensive atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease

Babbitt, a U.S. Air Force veteran from Southern California, was shot and killed by a Capitol Police officer while she climbed through a broken window on a door leading to the Speaker’s Lobby, The New York Times reported.

Meanwhile, video reviewed by the Times showed Boyland among a throng of protesters attempting to fight through a police line. The Kennesaw, Georgia, resident appeared in the video to be crushed by fellow rioters, but the medical examiner’s ruling contradicts that theory.

Greeson, of Athens, Alabama, was talking on the phone with his wife in a crowd of Trump loyalists on the Capitol’s west side, when he suffered an apparent heart attack and fell to the sidewalk, the Times reported. His wife confirmed Greeson suffered from high blood pressure.

Meanwhile, the details surrounding Phillips’ death were scarce immediately following the riot, although fellow Trump supporters who traveled throughout the city with him told the Times that he died of a stroke before the entourage left to return home to Pennsylvania.