The Penguins said George Sullivan, 81, passed away on Saturday in Scituate, Massachusetts.
Assistant coach Jacques Martin will run the day-to-day operations of the coaching staff while Sullivan is away.
"We'll handle the load until he gets back," assistant coach Mark Recchi said. "It's a very tough time for him. We'll make sure things run the way he would run."
George Sullivan visited his son occasionally after Mike Sullivan took over as Penguins coach in December, 2015 and spent copious amounts of time with the club during Pittsburgh's run to consecutive Stanley Cups in 2016 and 2017.
- Tropical Storm Florence: TV reporter stops Facebook Live to rescue dog
- Michigan officials discover 19-ton 'fatberg' in sewer line
- Live Updates: Tracking Tropical Storm Florence, impact on Pittsburgh area
- VIDEO: Crews battle row house fire in Harrison Township
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.