• Police: 2 shot in downtown Pittsburgh; 3 in custody


    Authorities have confirmed that two people were shot late Friday afternoon during a confrontation in downtown Pittsburgh in front of a popular restaurant.

    The shooting took place near the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Wood Street in front of the Capital Grille just before 4 p.m.

    “All of a sudden I heard four shots and I looked over here and there were people fighting,” witness Regina White said.

    The two wounded men and a third man were involved in a fight that ended in gunfire, said Pittsburgh police Lt. Kevin Kraus, the acting supervisor of the major crimes unit.

    One of the victims was taken to Allegheny General Hospital and the other was taken to UPMC Mercy Hospital. Their names and conditions haven’t been released, but officials said neither victim’s injuries are believed to be critical.

    The third man also was taken to a hospital for injuries suffered in the fistfight preceding the shooting.

    Police attribute Allegheny County sheriff's Deputy Sgt. Kevin Faulds as the hero in this whole situation.  

    Faulds was driving along Smithfield Street when he heard the gunfire and responded to the scene, Kraus said.

    The shooting had stopped by the time Faulds arrived, but he was able to take all three men into custody and recover two handguns, according to sheriff's department Lt. Jack Kearney.

    Kraus said the violence began when the three men were among five to seven people involved in an argument about a block away at the corner of Fifth and Smithfield. The group may have included two women, Kraus said. Police said they are still looking for those two women.

    He said a couple of people began chasing at least one man down the street and that when they caught up with him, a fistfight broke out in front of the restaurant and eventually spilled out into the street.

    Authorities have not released any other details about the shooting.

    Multiple city blocks were closed off to traffic while crews worked to clear the scene and investigate, but have since been reopened.

    Point Park University was briefly placed on lockdown following the shooting, but it has since been lifted.

    Channel 11’s news exchange partners at TribLIVE contributed to this article.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: 2 shot in downtown Pittsburgh; 3 in custody

  • Headline Goes Here

    Looking back at The Blizzard of '93

  • Headline Goes Here

    Teen "set-up" by man he met on Grindr, beaten in ruthless attack

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police need help identifying woman found dead inside mall

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: Child, 12, sent threat that closed Pennsylvania school district