• Seton Hill University honors life of pregnant women's lacrosse coach killed in crash


    GREENSBURG, Pa. - Emotions were high at a memorial mass in honor of a beloved coach and her unborn child killed in a tragic crash Saturday morning. 

    Kristina Quigley, head coach of the Seton Hill University women's lacrosse team, died when the team's bus crashed in Carlisle.

    Members of the Seton Hill University community tearfully gathered at Saint Joseph Chapel, known on the hilltop campus as "the heart" of the school, to memorialize victims of the fatal crash — especially head lacrosse coach Quigley, who was remembered as warm, outgoing and a natural leader.

    The team sat together wearing their jerseys, visibly grieving the loss of their coach.

    "I'm so sorry to her family. I know people who with her. I'm just so sorry for her family," said Chelsea Ciolli, of Pittsburgh.

    Hundreds of students and athletes from universities and schools across the region – including Robert Morris, Duquesne, and Mercyhurst attended the mass to show their support.

    Players and coaches from Seton Hill were among 23 people aboard when the bus crashed into a tree Saturday morning on the Pennsylvania Turnpike outside Harrisburg. The team was headed to an afternoon game at Millersville University, about 50 miles from the crash site in central Pennsylvania. Police are investigating the cause.

    Quigley, 30, of Greensburg, died of her injuries at a hospital, Cumberland County authorities said. Quigley was about six months pregnant, and her unborn son didn't survive. The bus driver, Anthony Guaetta, 61, of Johnstown, died at the scene.

    Two victims flown to Penn State Hershey Medical Center remained there Sunday, and no official information was released. Amanda Michalski, from the Minneapolis suburb of Coon Rapids, is a freshman attacker. She is one of the players taken to the medical center. Her lacrosse coach at Coon Rapids High School, Jeff DeJoy, tells the St. Paul Pioneer Press that her parents, Gary and Gretchen Michalski, are now with her. He says he hasn't been able to confirm the extent of her injuries.

    Another woman injured in the crash was discharged Sunday afternoon from another hospital. All others aboard the bus were taken to hospitals as a precaution, but almost all were treated and released.

    Police couldn't immediately say what had caused the crash, and the investigation is ongoing. The front side of the bus, which was towed from the scene Saturday night, was shorn away, and the vehicle came to rest upright about 70 yards from the highway at the bottom of a grassy slope.

    The bus operator, Mlaker Charter & Tours, of Davidsville, Pa., is up to date on its inspections, which include bus and driver safety checks, said Jennifer Kocher, a spokeswoman for the state Public Utility Commission, which regulates bus companies.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Seton Hill University honors life of pregnant women's lacrosse coach…

  • Headline Goes Here

    Looking back at The Blizzard of '93

  • Headline Goes Here

    Teen "set-up" by man he met on Grindr, beaten in ruthless attack

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police need help identifying woman found dead inside mall

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: Child, 12, sent threat that closed Pennsylvania school district