GREENSBURG, Pa. — A priest within the Diocese of Greensburg is accused of sexually abusing a minor.
According to a news release, the diocese learned of the allegations against the Rev. Andrew Kawecki on Monday.
The allegation dates back 15 years. The allegation has not yet been proven, but it is protocol to place a priest on leave until the investigation is complete.
Kawecki currently serves as the pastor at St. John the Baptist in Scottdale and St. Joseph in Everson.
The diocese said ChildLine and the district attorney have been contacted about the alleged incident.
“We will be communicating with parishioners at our parish in Scottdale and Everton this weekend where he serves as a pastor,” the diocese said in a statement. “In the interim, the Diocese has provided for the pastoral care of the parishes.”
- Priest placed on leave due to allegations of inappropriate behavior
- Priest on leave, accused of inappropriate contact with women
- $2M to victim of sex abuse by priest who made him confess
- VIDEO: W.Va. suit accuses diocese of knowingly employing pedophiles
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Parishioners and people in the area have mixed emotions.
“My husband saw it yesterday and was devastated, and right now what we’re doing is we’re praying that God … that it’ll be in God’s hands,” Kelly Ernette, of Everson, said.
“It’s one of the most horrific things I can imagine having to go through, and they will be in my prayers to help them heal,” Hope Bundridge, of Everson, said.
Cox Media Group