Cardinal Donald Wuerl has withdrawn from the World Meeting of Families in Dublin, according to the Irish Times.
Wuerl was set to be the keynote speaker.
Wuerl's name appeared more than 200 times in the grand jury report released last Tuesday, accusing him of covering up sexual abuse of children by clergy while serving as Pittsburgh's bishop.
Nearly 5,000 people have petitioned to remove his name from North Catholic High School.
We're continuing to cover the release of the grand jury report on sexual abuse by clergy in the Catholic church. To get breaking news alerts on new developments, download the Channel 11 News app HERE.
- Pressure growing to remove Cardinal Wuerl's name from North Catholic High School
- Petition begun to remove Cardinal Wuerl's name from North Catholic High School
- Cardinal Donald Wuerl, former Pittsburgh bishop, defends himself from grand jury report
- VIDEO: Vatican, Pittsburgh mayor react to report on clergy child abuse in Pa.
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.