PETERS TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Peters Township students waiting for their school bus on their first day, witnessed a garbage truck go up in flames Wednesday morning.
A Waste Management spokesperson told Channel 11 the driver of the truck picked up a grill, and there was a propane tank hidden inside. When the trash was compacted the propane tank ignited, setting everything else on fire.
Channel 11’s Gabriella DeLuca talked to witnesses about the scary scene. Watch her report above to see exclusive video of the truck smoldering.
Below is a list of items that cannot be placed in residential trash containers:
- Oil or other liquid wastes
- Electronic Waste (computers, computer accessories, televisions etc.) or CEDs (televisions, computers or video display devices with a screen that is greater than four inches measured diagonally)
- Freon-containing Appliances (white goods)
- Hazardous waste
- Liquid waste
- Industrial waste
- Chemical products
- Oil filters (unless drained for 24 hours)
- Paint, paint thinner or paint remover cans (unless RCRA empty, solidified or triple rinsed)
- Herbicides and pesticides
- Propane tanks and any other compressed gas tank of any size (including small camp grill sized bottles)
- Fluorescent light bulbs, including CFLs, “green tipped” bulbs, and HID (High Intensity Discharge as typically seen in gymnasiums or warehouses)
© 2019 Cox Media Group.