Authorities say a woman approached some police officers on patrol around 10:30 p.m. Monday and told them she had found a baby that had been placed in the dumpster by her daughter's friend. The woman and the baby were taken to a hospital, where the infant was pronounced dead a short time later.
Officers then went to the home of the daughter's friend. The girl who had given birth and her mother were taken to a police building and the teen was arrested.
The girl was later taken to a hospital for what authorities said was "precautionary medical treatment," though further details were not disclosed.
- Report: Steelers' WR Brown requests trade
- Man beats attacker to death after being stabbed during argument
- 2-year-old girl 'doing well' at hospital after falling into rhino exhibit at Brevard Zoo
- VIDEO: Dozens jump into frigid Mon River for annual Polar Bear Plunge
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.