PITTSBURGH — The city of Pittsburgh kicked off the start of the holiday season Friday with its annual Light Up Night celebration.
Here’s what you need to know if you're Downtown on Friday night:
Displayed at the corner of the Penn Avenue Place Building, the Unity Tree has been a fixture of the Downtown holiday season for more than 60 years. The tradition will continue in 2017 when it is lit at 7 p.m. with the help of Mr. McFeely.
Countdown with Santa at 5:45 p.m. as he flips the giant switch to the Season of Lights Display in Market Square, which includes a light show on the buildings surrounding the square and the lighting of the 35-foot-tall Sphere Tree. There will be additional light shows every half hour.
Comcast Main Stage (Fort Duquesne Boulevard at Ninth Street)
- 6 p.m. - Meeting of Important People
- 7 p.m. - J.D. Eicher
- 8:30 p.m. - Andy Grammer
BNY Mellon New Music Stage (Fort Duquesne Boulevard at Sixth Street)
- 6 p.m. - Emerson Jay
- 7 p.m. - The Buckle Downs
- 8:30 p.m. - Maggie Lindemann
- 9:38 p.m. - BNY Mellon Fireworks Finale
Total Sports Rockin’ Blues Stage (Stanwix Street at Penn Avenue)
- 6 p.m. - Jeff Jimerson and Airborne
- 7 p.m. - Lighting of the Highmark Unity Tree
- 7:30 p.m. - Joe Grushecky and The Houserockers
- 8:30 p.m. - Lyndsey Smith and Soul Distribution
EQT Jazzmasters Stage (EQT Plaza, 625 Liberty Avenue)
- 6:00 p.m. - Django Festival All Stars
- 7:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. - MCG Jazz All Stars, featuring: Tania Grubbs (vocals), Etta Cox (vocals), Cliff Barnes (piano), Paul Thompson (bass), James Johnson (drums), Jared Sims (saxophones)
- 2 adults found dead, baby alive in crib at Armstrong County home
- Baby beaten to death in Mt. Lebanon, father arrested
- Sammy Sosa's latest photos draw more speculation about his appearance
- VIDEO: Chopper 11 over multi-vehicle crash on Route 65
7 a.m. to Midnight
- Northbound Stanwix Street from Liberty Avenue to the entrance to the Fort Duquesne Parking Garage.
- Fort Duquesne Boulevard Eastbound from 6th Street to 9th Street
9 a.m. to Midnight
- Fort Duquesne Boulevard, both directions between 6th Street and 9th Street. Clemente and Carson Bridges to remain open. Warhol Bridge continues to be closed for construction.
- Seventh Street and Eighth Street from Fort Duquesne Boulevard to Penn Avenue. Parking lot and garage access will remain open to and from Penn Avenue only.
4 p.m. to Midnight
- Market Square, Market Street, Graeme, and lower Forbes Avenue. Upper Forbes will remain open through McMasters Way for local traffic only.
- Fourth Avenue from Stanwix Street to Wood.
6 p.m. to Midnight
- Stanwix Street, both directions, from Liberty Avenue to the entrance of the Fort Duquesne Parking Garage.
- Penn Avenue from 5th Street/Cecil/CLO Way to Liberty Avenue Extension.
- Access to and from the Goodyear, 8th Street and Penn Avenue parking lots and the Theater Square Parking Garage will be from Penn Avenue only. No access from Fort Duquesne Boulevard.
9:15 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- The Clemente Bridge will be closed to pedestrians and vehicles during the fireworks.
Cox Media Group