Top Stories

Man accused of shooting McKeesport police officer back in Allegheny County

The man accused of shooting at a McKeesport police officer in December returned to Allegheny County Friday morning.

Koby Francis, 22, was served with a protection from abuse (PFA) order at the McKeesport police station around 2:55 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 20, according to investigators. The order was filed on behalf of his 4-month-old child and another individual. Police said he then defied that order and went to the victim’s home, where police found him and arrested him.

When Francis and an officer arrived back at the station that evening, security camera video showed Francis getting out and shooting at the officer, with a firearm he had hidden on him. Officer Athans was hit in the neck and twice in the shoulder and was taken to a nearby hospital.

You can now customize your WPXI News App to receive Allegheny County news alerts. CLICK HERE to find out how.

Francis then ran from the scene while still handcuffed. Police said at the time of his arrest his hands were cuffed behind his back, but at the time of the shooting they were then in front of him.

Francis was arrested by United States Marshals, West Virginia State Police troopers, Harrison County Sheriff deputies and local police on Dec. 29. A SWAT team was able to take him into custody without incident. Allegheny County police said a tip led officers to his arrest.

Francis is facing several charges including two criminal bench warrants for violations of probation/parole and he will await arraignment on the charges of aggravated assault, criminal attempt, persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms and flight to avoid apprehension stemming from the officer-shooting.

Four other people were charged with helping Francis following the shooting. They were seen on security camera footage near a store and then driving away. Police said in the Wednesday news conference that Francis received a ride to the Clarksburg area on Dec. 21.