PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto said he would welcome any detained migrants sent to the city by the Trump administration.
His comments came days after the president said he wants to bus undocumented immigrants to so-called sanctuary cities.
While Pittsburgh is not a sanctuary city, the mayor said all are welcome here.
"It's sort of forgotten, that idea of America was a country that would welcome all, especially those that are facing persecution or whose countries are facing poverty," he said.
Peduto said Pittsburgh is a city built by immigrants.
President Donald Trump said the U.S. has an "absolute legal right" to send immigrants awaiting asylum to sanctuary cities.
- Heavy police presence in downtown Pittsburgh, car towed
- Man in custody after hostage incident in Washington County
- ‘World's Largest Rubber Duck' making another stop in Pennsylvania
- VIDEO: Man claims to be UPMC employee, tries to steal woman's car from hospital garage
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.