PITTSBURGH - A Pittsburgh Penguins fan is hoping she can use the team’s success to help find a kidney donor for her mother.
Rachelle Michalowski went to the Penguins game Saturday night armed with two signs and a plan.
The first kidney-shaped sign was white simply said “my mom needs a kidney.”
It was the second sign that drew people’s eyes – a bright-pink kidney shaped sign that had the details. Michalowski’s mother is blood type B-, and anyone who can help should text 724-747-8876.
Michalowski said her mother was diagnosed with stage 5 kidney disease nine years ago and has been fighting for her life ever since.
While working as a teacher at Ringgold High School, Michalowski's mother needs to go to dialasys three times a week.
"Unfortunately, due to medical reasons, I am unable to donate my kidney, despite years of trying," Michalowski said.
In the days since the game, the family has received more than 30 calls from people offering to help.
- 'All I ever did was show that man love and respect' JuJu responds to AB comments
- Bolt cutters, acid, a blender: California man charged with torture killing of missing 8-year-old son
- Penguins-Islanders first round playoff schedule announced
- VIDEO: Rhino poacher trampled to death by elephant; remains eaten by lions
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.