PETERS TOWNSHIP, Pa. - An elderly man was killed in a fire at his western Pennsylvania home that left his wife injured.
The fire in Peters was reported around 5:30 p.m. Monday.
Authorities say the wife had escaped the home shortly before firefighters arrived, but her husband was trapped inside. Heavy smoke and fire initially blocked their rescue efforts, but the man was soon brought out and taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
The victim was identified as 84-year-old Robert Gries.
The woman was being treated at a hospital for undisclosed injuries.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation. Authorities believe it began in the home's basement.
- Which school districts pay their teachers the most and least?
- Neighbors say Terrelle Pryor, girlfriend had a tumultuous relationship
- Boy born blind paints picture of American flag, gets response from President Trump
- VIDEO: Plan to legalize fentanyl testing strips gaining momentum
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.