WESTMORELAND CO., Pa. — A generator fire at a Westmoreland County nursing home caused more than 100 residents to be evacuated after the power was knocked out.
According to investigators, the fire started around 6:30 p.m. Sunday at Murrysville Rehabilitation and Wellness Center on Logan Ferry Road.
Emergency responders told Channel 11 that fire caused the facility to lose power, so its 103 residents had to be evacuated from the building.
Fire officials confirmed the fire was caused by a tree that fell on the facility’s generator, which also knocked out the power for hours.
Channel 11 crews saw first responders take residents away in buses and ambulances, though officials said no one was taken to the hospital for injuries related to the fire.
Police said those residents were being taken to a nearby church.
The power was was restored as of 9:30 p.m., and firefighters said the residents were allowed back inside.
According to police, there was one very minor injury that was not directly related to the power outage.
Cox Media Group