PITTSBURGH - There's a battle over Pittsburgh's 412 area code.
It all started on Friday when University of Pittsburgh football player Damar Hamlin tweeted a picture of his helmet with '412' on the visor.
Hamlin claimed Shop 412 was making the university take the number off the visor because of a trademark violation.
You can now customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Consumer news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
A trademark attorney told our news partners at TribLIVE.com the business is "splitting hairs" in its alleged trademark dispute because the numbers on the helmet do not copy the distinct elements of the logo.
The company retweeted Hamlin on Friday and said it is working with Pitt on a specific 412 Pitt image.
- Heavy police presence in downtown Pittsburgh, car towed
- Man in custody after hostage incident in Washington County
- ‘World's Largest Rubber Duck' making another stop in Pennsylvania
- VIDEO: Man claims to be UPMC employee, tries to steal woman's car from hospital garage
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.