CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Officials said Interstate 77 southbound in Charlotte, North Carolina, was briefly shut down after a fire engulfed a bus.
One person was killed and four others were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.
- One person shot after fight in Uniontown bar
- Victim identified in Stowe Township bar shooting
- Teen couldn't bring boyfriend to prom, takes him to Pirates game instead
- VIDEO: Texas Men Died Attempting to Jump Car Across Drawbridge, Police Said
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The incident happened at about 2:15 p.m. Sunday. The North Carolina State Highway Patrol told WSOC that a private bus crashed into a wall when attempting to exit the freeway.
Trooper Ray Pierce told WSOC the deceased victim is an 82-year-old woman. He said one of the four people injured is in serious condition.
Pierce said the bus caught fire after hitting the wall.
WSOC confirmed the bus belongs to Victory Christian Center in Charlotte.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.