CHARTIERS TOWNSHIP, Pa. - An elderly woman died after a fire at a home in Chartiers Township Wednesday.
The fire began on Sprowls Avenue around 8:30 p.m.
Grace Thomas, 90, was not able to get out of her home and died inside.
Neighbors saw the flames and called 911.
- 1 dead, 3 hurt after related shootings at separate scenes in West Virginia
- Philadelphia police shooting: Gunman in custody after 6 officers shot, wounded
- 13-year-old dies after collapsing while playing football
- VIDEO: Coroner called to fire in Washington County
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Channel 11 has learned a neighbor tried to get into the home to save Thomas, but the heat and fire were too intense.
Thomas had lived at the home for years, and neighbors described her as a woman of prayer and the neighborhood grandma.
"She was a woman of God. She loved church, she loved her family, pretty much it. She was nice to everybody," neighbor Michael Randolph said.
Most of the fire damage outside is to the front of the house where Channel 11 has learned a window air conditioner possibly caught fire.
The state police fire marshal is investigating.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.