MIDLAND, Pa. - A "major" landslide has buried Route 168 in Beaver County, according to emergency dispatchers.
Route 168 (Fairview Road) is closed from Spring Lane to the entrance at Midland Heights in Midland. It will remain closed until further notice, officials said Wednesday afternoon.
Power outages occurred in the area because several poles and electrical wires were knocked down in the slide. Duquesne Light officials said all power should be restored by 4 p.m. Wednesday.
The landslide also brought down trees.
BREAKING: Fairview Rd / Rt 168 is CLOSED between Spring Lane and Midland Heights in Midland, Beaver County, Due to a SIGNIFICANT Landslide. @JenniferTomazic is headed to the scene. #BeaverCounty #wpxi pic.twitter.com/hqlm41fHu5— WPXI Traffic (@WPXITraffic) June 19, 2019
This is a map of the area that is affected:
A Pennsylvania Department of Transportation worker told Channel 11 News at the scene that once they've been able to clear the slide, then utility crews from Duquesne Light will have to go back in and install new poles.
BEAVER COUNTY CLOSURE: Rt 168 in Midland is CLOSED because of a landslide. Duquesne Light is trying to turn off power so clean up can start pic.twitter.com/IR0KoMLpdW— WPXIJennifer Tomazic (@JenniferTomazic) June 19, 2019
- 3 dead after crash involving large truck
- Arrest warrants issued after a nursing home patient is hurt during fight
- Over $1 billion of cocaine intercepted at Philadelphia port
- VIDEO: Man Accused of Kidnapping, Killing 3-Year-Old Son, Boy’s Mother After Ordered to Pay Child Support
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.