Open Carry Pennsylvania is encouraging gun owners and supporters to demonstrate at noon Monday outside the City-County Building on Grant Street.
The proposed legislation being protested would ban semiautomatic weapons within the city. If it's approved, advocates have said they will sue the city.
Justin Dillon, of Open Carry Pennsylvania, said people who choose to carry during the rally do so in a safe manner.
Signs have been posted outside the City-County Building warning visitors that weapons are not permitted inside.
Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto said workers in the building and police are prepared.
"They are not permitted in the building, but they are permitted ,along the street on the portico. The open carry laws will be recognized, and they are saying that they intend to bring both handguns on there waist and strapped rifles as well," he said.
- Steelers' Antonio Brown appears as surprise guest on 'Masked Singer'
- Family of slain man reeling after another shocking loss
- 2 charged with selling drugs after $223K worth of cocaine, meth found
- VIDEO: 19-Year-Old Killed By Bullet While Lying On Couch, Police Say
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.