PITTSBURGH - Target 11 has obtained an exclusive copy of a letter that Mayor Bill Peduto sent to elected officials across the country, asking for their support in pushing new gun legislation.
Peduto said that, after the Tree of Life synagogue shootings, he felt obligated to do something, so he’s decided to build a movement starting at the local level.
The mayor is urging communities across the country to enact legislation to ban assault rifles, certain firearm accessories and ammunition and to remove firearms from those who are proven in a court of law to be an extreme risk.
Peduto plans to introduce the legislation in city council on Dec. 14, the anniversary of the 2012 mass shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.
WATCH THE FULL STORY BELOW:
- Massive beef recall expands; 12 million pounds of meat affected
- James Conner out for Sunday's game against Oakland Raiders
- Police: Man arrested for stabbing man, woman in Millvale
- RAW VIDEO: 'Christmas Vacation' display fools passerby
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.