NEW SEWICKLEY TOWNSHIP, Pa. — A student is facing criminal charges after he allegedly posted a shooting threat directed at the Freedom Area School District.
According to police, the 10th-grader posted a picture of himself online holding an AR-15 with a statement advising other students not to show up at school.
If you want to receive BREAKING ALERTS, please download our WPXI News App.
School administrators found the student who posted the picture and determined he did not have any weapons on him. A search warrant was issued at his home for the gun and the phone used to post the photo.
Police said the gun belonged to the boy's uncle, and during their search, they also found a small rifle.
- Man shot 15 years ago in downtown Pittsburgh parking garage dies in hospital
- 12 people charged in relation to $87M in false Medicaid claims
- Man accused of fatally beating infant while changing her diaper
- VIDEO: 1 month after Tree of Life shooting, we mourn the lives lost
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The student is not being identified because he is being charged as a juvenile.
Other students saw the post and reported it to administrators.
A notice was sent home to parents.
Police will have an increased presence at the Freedom Area School District for the next few weeks, officials said.
Cox Media Group