VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. - A Volusia County man who investigators said was on the run after casually walking out of a courtroom in the middle of his robbery trial has found himself back in jail.
Surveillance video showed Gearing walking out of the courtroom and getting into a waiting SUV in the parking lot.
Gearing was on trial on charges of robbing a Dollar General, where prosecutors said he pointed a gun at a sales clerk before escaping with $700.
Gearing was not in custody during the trial because he was able to post his $75,000 bond.
"If you're out on bond, as long as you don't violate the conditions of the bond, you're allowed to remain free," said one official. "While you go to trial, you're allowed to walk around while you're waiting on the verdict to come."
The jury did eventually come to a guilty verdict after Gearing left the building. Prosecutors said that verdict could come with a sentence of 10 years to life in prison.
A judge may now hand down a stiffer sentence after Gearing's recapture.
- 74 people displaced by apartment building fire in West Oakland; 2 firefighters injured
- Treasure hunter finds memory card from GoPro containing man's last moments; returns to parents
- 6 western PA massage parlors raided as part of national human trafficking investigation
- VIDEO: Digital IDs rolling out in some states
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.