PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh police are investigating after a dog was found abandoned this morning in Pittsburgh's Knoxville neighborhood.
The dog was left outside in a crate on top of a dumpster on Knox Avenue, according to police. Police and Animal Control then showed up to the scene to rescue the animal.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts for Allegheny County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
The dog is being taken care of at Humane Animal Rescue while police determine if charges will be filed.
The pit bull mix was so scared that she wouldn't leave the back of her cage. When she was found, the temperature was right around freezing.
According to a city ordinance, an animal cannot be left outside for more than 30 minutes when the temperature reaches 32 degrees and below -- or 90 degrees and above.
- Local chiropractor found dead inside office was murdered, police say
- Man's body found in river near Point State Park
- Man dies when SUV crosses major North Hills road, crashes into church parking lot
- VIDEO: Local school district mourning loss of beloved student, talented athlete
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.