PENN HILLS, Pa. - A man was found dead Wednesday night after police received a report of a home invasion in Penn Hills, police said.
Aaron Evans, 35, was found shot inside a home shortly after 6 p.m., according to authorities. He had already died by the time officers got to the home on Lawton Street.
You can customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Allegheny County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
When he was leaving to pick up his child from daycare, three men -- at least one of whom had a weapon -- forced him back inside.
Detectives said when Evans never showed up to pick up his child, the daycare called the child's mother, who then called 911.
Investigators said the home was ransacked before whoever broke into the home took off. No suspects have been identified.
- Mother left newborn, 9-year-old inside car with keys in ignition on busy road, police say
- Kittens, cat abandoned by dumpster at local shopping center
- Police: 12-year-old made up story, did not get attacked at South Park homecoming bonfire
- VIDEO: Dangerous drug possibly connected to overdoses at Allegheny County rehab center
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
"At this juncture, we have no reason to think he was randomly selected," said Inspector Andrew Schurman. "There was something in his life that caused these men to show up and ransack his home."
Police said they were able to get surveillance video from the neighborhood, and they are using it in the investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Allegheny County Police tip line at 1-833-255-8477.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.