PITTSBURGH - New details are coming out about the arrest of a woman once known as the "Monroeville Madam" and her alleged role in sex trafficking.
Amy Schifano was one of several people arrested in the Pittsburgh area as part of a nationwide FBI investigation and crackdown.
Schifano and Patrick Lewis are both charged with prostitution-related crimes, but the FBI says they did not include anything related to juveniles.
However, four men were also arrested during what was dubbed Operation Independence Day for allegedly trying to meet local children for sex.
"We are seeing less minors trafficked in commercial sex industry, but what we are seeing is a larger increase in the online enticement of juveniles," Tim Wolford, a special agent with the FBI in Pittsburgh said.
- Texas' ‘Orange Socks' murder victim identified after 40 years of anonymity
- Former firefighter accused of sexual relationship with 15-year-old
- 'Monroeville Madam' arrested during national sex trafficking crackdown
- VIDEO: Florida woman bites man she said broke into her apartment
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
During the investigation, federal agents posing as juveniles online identified seven suspects who tried to meet local children for sex.
The four men who were arrested are from Carrick, Bellevue, The North Side and West Virginia. Three of the cases remain under investigation.
"That's one more than all of last year," Wolford said.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.