HARRISON TOWNSHIP, Pa. — A swimming pool business was destroyed in a massive fire on Freeport Road.
According to Allegheny County 911, crews were called to the scene of the 4-alarm blaze at 2:14 p.m. Tuesday.
Channel 11′s crew at the scene saw Country Pools & Spas on Freeport Road burned to the ground.
The owner of the business, Col. John Placek, has owned the location for 23 years.
“It’s sad that it burnt down, but you know, we can always rebuild and we will rebuild and we’ll be bigger and better,” Placek said.
Residents and business owners within a half-mile radius of a massive fire in Harrison Township were told to evacuate the area due to chemicals that were burned in the blaze.
“It takes the element to a different level because now you’re dealing with a hazardous materials incident and not a structure fire incident,” said Harrison Hills Fire Chief James Bartolovich.
County hazmat and DEP officials responded to the scene to deal with chemicals like chlorine.
Our crews at the scene learned that people were sent to Citizens Hose Ambulance Service in Natrona Heights after evacuating.
Allegheny County said officials cleared the shelter in place order and coordinated moving evacuated apartment building tenants back to their homes.
Local residents were cleared to return to their houses as well.
Officials said there may be lingering odors in the immediate area of the fire building and the site will continue to be monitored.
Placek said he is thankful for the work of first responders and is happy no one was hurt.
“These people are magnificent,” he said.
He told Channel 11 his goal is to reopen by March 1 — just in time for spring.
Download the FREE WPXI News app for breaking news alerts.
©2022 Cox Media Group