MONTREAL — With the 21st overall pick in the NHL Draft, the Penguins went with defense, selecting Owen Pickering.
On the Draft Broadcast, Penguins General Manager Ron Hextall said Pickering is a long-term project for the Penguins. Newly re-signed defenseman Kris Letang announced the pick.
Some more details about Pickering:
* Led all defensemen on the Swift Current Broncos and ranked sixth among WHL rookie blueliners with 9-24—33 in 62 GP during the 2021-22 season.
* Represented Team Canada at the 2022 Under-18 World Championship where he was named a Top 3 Player on his team after posting 0-2—2 in 4 GP.
* Earned honors with distinction in each year of high school.
* His cousin, Denton Mateychuk, is a defenseman for the WHL’s Moose Jaw Warriors who was selected earlier tonight in the No. 12 slot by the Blue Jackets.
* Played provincial baseball as a pitcher and second baseman alongside fellow first-round NHL Draft picks Conor Geekie and Denton Mateychuk.
Stay with Channel 11 for more NHL Draft coverage.
Download the FREE WPXI News app for breaking news alerts.
©2022 Cox Media Group