• LIVE UPDATES: Wabash Tunnel open after train derailment



    Port Authority officials said buses will be going back to regular route. 

    The reopening of East Carson Street means the Wabash Tunnel will open at 6 a.m. for inbound traffic on Friday morning.


    4 P.M. THURSDAY - East Carson Street has reopened in the vicinity of the Station Square T stop. One eastbound lane is now open, along with both westbound lanes.

    The eastbound lane nearest the T stop will remain closed as cleanup and repairs continue.

    1 P.M. THURSDAY - Port Authority crews have started removing pieces of the light rail track that will need to be repaired or replaced.

    Because of that, PennDOT will keep the lane of East Carson Street closest to the station closed so crews have room to maneuver.

    It is still too early to know when Station Square will reopen for light rail service, according to a Port Authority spokesperson.

    In addition to the repairs, about 1,600 feet of track and 4,000 feet of overhead power lines will need to be replaced.


    12:15 P.M. THURSDAY - Norfolk Southern said cleanup efforts requiring the use of the 450-ton crane brought in to lift rail cars and containers that derailed Sunday near Station Square were completed overnight.

    The crane, which was staged on East Carson Street, has been broken down and moved. Pittsburgh Public Safety officials estimate the street will reopen at 4 p.m. Thursday.

    Norfolk Southern contractors continue shredding rail cars and containers damaged in the derailment. They are working in a parking lot at Station Square and expect to be done later Thursday.

    12 P.M. THURSDAY - Pittsburgh Public Safety officials said they’re tentatively planning to reopen East Carson Street at 4 p.m. Thursday following Sunday’s train derailment.

    As for the Port Authority of Allegheny County’s T service in the area, it is unclear when it will be up and running again. Crews are in the process of inspecting rails -- looking at cracks, overhead wires and the structural stability of infrastructure.

    “Today was the first day to get a good look and assess what's needed to repair and get the line up and running,” Port Authority spokesman Adam Brandolph said.

    Earlier in the day, Norfolk Southern released the following statement addressing what happens to items that spilled from containers involved in Sunday’s derailment:

    “As a freight rail transportation company, Norfolk Southern was moving these items for a variety of shipping customers and beneficial owners of the product. Norfolk Southern does not own any of these products.

    “In incidents such as Sunday's derailment, there is a recovery process that Norfolk Southern must follow. Norfolk Southern coordinates with shippers and the product owners to determine the status of products and how the shippers and owners want to proceed. At this time, Norfolk Southern is still working through that process.”

    8 A.M. THURSDAY - The Smithfield Street Bridge reopened Thursday morning, as did West Carson Street in the area of the bridge. A closure had been in place while crews cleared the train that derailed near Station Square Sunday. 

    7 P.M. WEDNESDAY - Both freight lines and the Mon Incline have reopened and all debris has been removed from the Port Authority tracks at Station Square. 

    The train company tells Channel 11 their next priority will be clearing heavy equipment from Carson Street so it can be reopened to traffic.

    A machine is being brought in so that all of the damaged containers and train cars can be shredded into scrap metal on site.

    3:40 P.M. WEDNESDAY - The Port Authority says it expects to reopen the Mon Incline on Wednesday afternoon by 4 p.m. A portion of Carson Street in the area is also just a short time away from opening.

    2:14 P.M. WEDNESDAY - Norfolk Southern announced it reopened its No. 1 mainline track at 12:21 p.m. Tuesday. Both of the mainline tracks that were shut down following Sunday's derailment have now reopened.

    11:50 A.M. WEDNESDAY - Officials said they expect to have a portion of Carson Street, as well as Arlington Avenue, reopened by Wednesday’s evening rush. It’s also possible that the Smithfield Street Bridge will reopen.

    Closures have been in place while crews worked to clear Sunday’s train derailment.

    8:30 A.M. WEDNESDAY - Norfolk Southern restored train service about 4 a.m. Wednesday on one of the two mainline tracks where the derailment occurred.

    Trains have started traveling across the line again.

    The one mainline track that remains closed, the No. 1 main, is expected to reopen later in the morning.

    All of the derailed shipping containers and rail car “wells” have been cleared from the Port Authority of Allegheny County’s T line tracks at Station Square, according to Norfolk Southern, which said it will assist in any way it can to help restore light rail service as soon as possible.

    Norfolk Southern said it has a plan in place for the railroad’s derailment-recovery contractors to begin moving construction trucks and equipment that have been parked on Carson Street and the surrounding area during the cleanup. Those efforts will be coordinated with the city of Pittsburgh, allowing the Smithfield Street Bridge and the Monongahela Incline to reopen later in the day Wednesday.

    “Norfolk Southern’s Pittsburgh Division is headquartered in Pittsburgh, and we are part of the community there. With several hundred employees living and working in the region, we have seen first-hand the inconveniences this incident has caused. Norfolk Southern appreciates the cooperation and patience of the city and Pittsburgh’s residents during this challenging time,” a release said.

    6:35 A.M. WEDNESDAY - Trains have been seen moving Wednesday morning along the Norfolk Southern track where a train derailed Sunday. It’s unclear whether the track is officially back open or if crews are running tests.

    4:30 A.M. WEDNESDAY - Focus has shifted to clearing debris left behind by the derailed train after all cars and containers were removed from the tracks.

    It’s possible that Norfolk Southern could resume train operations on one mainline track as soon as Wednesday morning.

    11:15 P.M. TUESDAY - All the containers blocking the Norfolk Southern tracks have been removed to a staging area. Crews are still working on clearing debris.

    Officials expect trains will be moving on that line by noon Wednesday.

    7 P.M. TUESDAY - The main freight tracks are expected to be clear of debris tonight, a Norfolk Southern spokesperson said. Crews are already at work repairing the damaged rails, and expect trains to resume on at least one set of the tracks Wednesday morning.

    There is not yet a timeline on when the Port Authority tracks will be cleared, but the spokesperson said that will be done "as soon as possible" and that the company will help ensure light rail service is restored.

    There are about two-dozen shipping containers still being stored in parking lots near the crash scene. There is no timeline for when these will be removed.

    12 P.M. TUESDAY - Even as crews continue to make progress with several cars on the hill along with loads of debris, workers are still working on stabilizing the area.

    Channel 11 just learned that a contractor's arm was cut on a cable last night, officials said. The contractor’s injury was not serious.  

    One car was pulled down the hill, forcing a brief closure of the Panhandle Bridge, which carries two T lines across the river. The Allentown line, which is used as the detour to get travelers downtown, was also closed.  

    The Allentown line operated smoothly during the morning commute.

    8:30 A.M. TUESDAY -

    Norfolk Southern said crews made incremental progress in efforts to clear the train derailment overnight Monday into Tuesday.

    Three sets of double-stack containers (six containers total) were removed, as were the rail cars that carried them.

    As of Tuesday morning, three more sets of double-stack containers and the rail cars they are positioned on need to be cleared from the mainline track.

    Norfolk Southern said it still hopes to have the mainline reopened for train operations within the next 24 to 36 hours, and will assist the Port Authority in getting its light rail tracks cleared.

    6:20 A.M. TUESDAY -

    The Smithfield Street Bridge, which closed following Sunday’s train derailment near Station Square, has opened to buses only, the Port Authority of Allegheny County tweeted Tuesday morning.

    4:30 A.M. TUESDAY -

    Crews slid one container down the hillside and flipped it onto its side. Two train cars carrying a dozen containers still need to be cleared.

    UPDATE 8:45 P.M. MONDAY-

    As crews were attempting to bring down one of the train cars, cargo spilled out of one of the containers. 

    Here's a timeline of what crews hope to do within the next 24 to 36 hours:

    • Clear remaining cars and containers. (Two cars carrying a dozen containers need to be cleared.)
    • After that, Station Square trolley tracks need to be cleared of debris.
    • Lastly, debris has to be removed from public areas. A contractor has to be hired first. We're told that this process could take longer, but it's not clear how long.


    Norfolk Southern said they have cleared all but two rail cars and about a dozen containers from the track.


    The railroad company said they hope to clear the remaining cars and resume train operations over the next 24 to 36 hours.


    Crews have removed only two of the 42 containers that derailed and tipped over the hillside.

    Mayor Bill Peduto said there's no chance of opening West Carson Street or the Smithfield Street Bridge for at least 48 hours.

    "I was glad I wasn't walking to the bus stop at that time because that's where I would go. Over there," said Claudette Andrini, who works nearby.

    She told Channel 11 she usually waits for her bus after work where all the rubble from the derailment now is.

    "Right now we're blessed we dodged a bullet on this one this could have been a catastrophe instead we don't even have an injury," Peduto said.

    Clean up is going to be a very slow and dangerous process. On Monday, it took crews nearly seven hours to remove one container and 45 minutes to remove a second one. 

    "Well, you have people up there being hoisted down on the crane in a basket, number one. And number two, you're always afraid the load may shift one way or the other unexpectedly," said Public Safety Director Wendell Hisrich. 

    Earlier, an excavator hit an energized line that wasn't shut off. Fortunately, no one was hurt. 



    UPDATE 2:15 P.M. MONDAY -

    The Port Authority has reopened the light rail tracks that run through the city's Allentown neighborhood.

    The lines were closed around 7 a.m. when a safety mechanism was triggered while crews tried to move some of the freight cars.

    The Allentown tracks are being used to bypass Station Square.

    UPDATE 11:30 A.M. MONDAY -

    Pittsburgh's Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich said there are three plans on the table as crews determine how to clear the derailed train cars.

    Officials are making their decisions based on which of the three plans is the least risky to remove each car. The plans are as follows:

    • Lifting the cars over trees and positioning them in the parking lot.
    • Lifting the cars and positioning them on the roadway.
    • Controlling the descent of the cars onto the road. However, utilities like gas, water and electricity could pose problems.

    Hissrich said the Port Authority, utility companies and Norfolk Southern are consulting with each other.

    UPDATE 8:40 A.M. MONDAY -

    Pittsburgh's Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich said cleanup of the train derailment is a very unstable situation and asks that pedestrians stay away from the area.

    Hissrich said people are not being permitted to walk through the parking lot in the area of the derailment in Station Square. Train cars being cleared are being placed in the lot.

    Machinery being used in the cleanup efforts Monday morning struck a wire, which sparked. No one was hurt.

    UPDATE 7:56 A.M. MONDAY -

    All Port Authority rail service has been suspended at South Hills Junction due to issues with the safe removal of freight cars at Station Square, according to the Port Authority of Allegheny County.

    Riders heading inbound can board shuttle buses from South Hills Junction to First Avenue Station, the Port Authority said. Rail cars are serving the downtown business district from First Avenue Station to Allegheny Station on the North Shore.

    For riders heading outbound, shuttle buses are being used from First Avenue to South Hills Junction, the Port Authority said. Blue and Red line light rail vehicles will take riders to the end of those respective rail lines.

    UPDATE 7:40 A.M. MONDAY -

    All rail cars are stopping at South Hills Junction due to safety reasons, according to the Port Authority of Allegheny County.

    Shuttle buses will take inbound riders to First Avenue, and rail cars are serving First Avenue to Allegheny Station.

    UPDATE 6:30 A.M. MONDAY -

    Crews are working around the clock to clear the train derailment that has forced the closure of West Carson Street and the Smithfield Street Bridge.

    Inbound light rail vehicles are serving South Hills Junction and continuing through Pittsburgh’s Allentown neighborhood, crossing the Monongahela River and serving all downtown light rail stations.

    A bus shuttle is also serving South Hills Junction, as well as the upper stations of the Monongahela and Duquesne inclines.

    Channel 11’s Liz Kilmer reported seeing full light rail vehicles and buses as many commuters got an early start in anticipation of significant delays during the morning commute.

    UPDATE 11:05 P.M. -

    Closures in and around the city are going to cause headaches for commuters at least into the early part of this week.

    T riders will be seeing different scenery tomorrow as crews work 24/7 to clear the train cars that derailed and restore rail service to Station Square.

    If you’re using the T and trying to get to the South Side, you will be detouring through Allentown on Warrington Avenue.


    As for drivers, the options will be limited. The 10th Street bridge outbound lane is closed, the Smithfield street bridge will be closed, West Carson Street in Station Square will also be closed.

    “Coming into the city you’ll have to come in through 10th street, the Birmingham Bridge or the Liberty Bridge. The other thing is coming down Arlington Avenue you can’t go beyond McCardle Roadway,” said Pittsburgh Chief Operations Officer Guy Costa.

    There is no timetable as to how long it could be until rail service is fully restored.

    Click here to watch a full report from Channel 11's Melanie Marsalko.


    UPDATE 11 P.M. -

    Kristy Larson and her friend Anita Franklin watched in horror as seven cars from the freight train derailed Sunday afternoon and barreled down a hillside towards their vehicle on West Carson Street.

    “We were screaming and I was laying on my horn to get the car in front of us to go. Oh my God, it was so scary and the car wouldn’t move,” Larson said.

    Click here to watch a full report from Channel 11’s Erin Clarke.

    UPDATE 10 P.M.

    The Port Authority just released an update on T and bus service for Monday's morning commute.

    All inbound rail vehicles will serve South Hills Junction, use the tracks that run through the city’s Allentown neighborhood, cross the Monongahela River and serve all Downtown light rail stations.

    A bus shuttle will serve South Hills Junction, the upper station of the Monongahela Incline and the upper station of the Duquesne Incline.

    Buses that use Carson Street near Station Square or the Smithfield Street Bridge will be detoured

    You can find a list of bus detours on the Port Authority website

    Officials say to allow for extra travel time because significant delays are expected. 

    UPDATE 9:13 P.M.

    The Pittsburgh Department of Public Safety released an update on the train derailment.

    Officials said West Carson Street will remain closed for the duration of the removal operations. The Smithfield Street Bridge will remain closed through the morning rush hour.

    They said delays should be expected Monday morning.

    Public Safety and City of Pittsburgh officials urge people to avoid the area while crews work.

    City of Pittsburgh police, fire and EMS will remain on scene all night.

    UPDATE 6:17 P.M. 

    Norfolk Southern has updated the number of rail cars that derailed from four to seven. 

    They said the rail cars were transporting double-stacked shipping containers that were carrying mostly consumer goods including housewares, food products, beverages and other common household products.

    PHOTOS: Train derails near Station Square

    Norfolk Southern officials said they've begun cleanup efforts and estimate that all the rail cars will be cleared from the T tracks within about 72 hours.

    The cause of the derailment remains under investigation. Norfolk Southern has ruled out a rock slide as the potential cause.

    They said they will continue to work 24/7 with local officials and restore normal operations and traffic patterns. 

    UPDATE 5:37 P.M.

    The Port Authority has restored rail service from the North Shore to First Avenue Station and from South Hills Junction to South Hills Village on the Red Line and to Lytle Station on the Blue Line.

    All shuttle buses will be operating from South Hills Junction to the main entrance of Steel Plaza Light Rail Station on Grant Street within the next hour.

    UPDATE 5:01 P.M.

    The Port Authority has updated their bus shuttle service:

    The Red Line bus shuttle will operate from Wood and 6th to South Hills Junction to Pauline at Broadway in Beechview. It will then serve all the regular stops to Potomac Station in Dormont. From there, riders can take the Red Line to points south.

    The Blue Line bus shuttle will also operate from Wood and 6th to South Hills Junction to South Bank Station, where riders can take the Blue Line to points south.

    A bus shuttle for the Monongahela Incline will operate between South Hills Junction, the upper station of the Mon Incline and the upper station of the Duquesne Incline every 20-25 minutes until the end of service.

    UPDATE 4:20 P.M.

    The Salvation Army's Emergency Disaster Services team is on the scene helping, including helping with hydration for the first responders.

    UPDATE 4:15 P.M.

    Some bus routes are being detoured because of the train derailment.

    UPDATE 4 P.M.

    Pittsburgh Public Safety is asking people to avoid the Station Square area as traffic is backing up.

    West Carson Street and the Smithfield Street Bridge are closed.

    UPDATE 3:55 P.M.

    A woman visiting Pittsburgh from Toronto, Canada captured the moment the cars derailed.


    UPDATE 3:25 P.M.

    The Port Authority has shuttle buses to transport fans leaving the Pirate game and the Regatta.

    The bus shuttles can be used by anyone trying to get from the Wood Street Station to either the Red or Blue Line.

    The Mon Incline is also closed.

    UPDATE 2:55 P.M.

    Norfolk Southern has released new information about four rail cars that came off the tracks near Mt. Washington.

    According to Jon Glass, public relations manager, the derailment happened in an area that is prone to rock slides.

    A train has derailed near Station Square.
    © 2019 Cox Media Group.

    The double-stack intermodal train was transporting shipping containers and no hazardous materials were involved.

    No injuries have been reported.


    A train has derailed in Pittsburgh.

    According to the Port Authority Transit's Twitter page, all rail service for the T has been suspended.

    The train derailed down to Station Square from the hill above, according to their tweet.

    A train has derailed near Station Square.
    © 2019 Cox Media Group.

    Power lines appear to be holding some of the cars up.

    For riders trying to get in and out of the city, the Blue Line will go as far as South Bank where passengers can transfer to a bus. The Red Line can go as far as Dormont, according to a tweet.

    If you need to talk to Port Authority Customer Service, you can do so until 4:30 p.m. at 412-442-2000.

    To continue getting breaking news alerts about this story, download the Channel 11 News app HERE.


    Next Up: