EAST PITTSBURGH, Pa. - Nearly three months after collapsing during a landslide, Route 30 is back open, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation announced Wednesday.
The slide took out part of Route 30 between Electric Avenue and the Westinghouse Bridge on April 7 and caused an apartment building to collapse.
The road had been closed prior to that because of roadway settling.
In the following weeks, crews worked to rebuild the collapsed section of the roadway.
- Dozens evacuated after apartment building collapses near Route 30
- Timeline leading up to Route 30, apartment collapses
- Crews demolish house near Route 30 landslide
- Displaced residents of Route 30 landslide to get assistance
PennDOT expected it would reopen by the end of June.
Crews from Golden Triangle Construction reconstructed the road once the hillside was rebuilt and stabilized, in part by the erection of a 400-foot wall.
Road reconstruction included asphalt paving, guide rail and drainage installation, curbing and line painting.
Work to remove slide material and demolish damaged buildings was conducted by crews from Allison Park Contractors, and Gannett Fleming, Inc. was responsible for design work to expedite the permanent repair of the roadway and hillside.
Some construction work will continue below Route 30. Short-term lane restrictions on Route 30 might be needed.
Route 30 carries 21,000 vehicles, on average, every day.
Even though the work was done quickly, officials say no shortcuts were taken and they're confident the hill is secure.
"There are piles that are driven down into the soil or down into the ground, I believe they're 20 feet deep and then on top of that, you'll see little rings that look like an anchor and the anchors go the whole way back to actually go into rock," said PennDOT District 11 District Executive Cheryl Moon-Sirianni.
- Criminal homicide charges filed against police officer who shot Antwon Rose
- Surveillance video shows drive-by shooting moments before Antwon Rose was shot
- Officer who shot, killed Antwon Rose has troubled past, attorney says
- 2 flown to hospital after tractor-trailer strikes van on Pa. Turnpike
- VIDEO: Body found inside walk-in freezer at Atlanta Braves’ SunTrust Park
© 2019 Cox Media Group.